Firmware Update Procedure (Traveler)
The Traveler is able to receive firmware updates via its Wi-Fi connection. In this way, we are able to offer continuous improvement of the device. The process for updating is simple and will not interrupt your normal writing process.
As of June 1, 2023, the latest Traveler firmware version is v2.0. You can check the firmware version your Traveler is currently running on by pressing the [new] button in the Wi-Fi cluster. Your current firmware version will be displayed at the top right corner of the Wi-Fi screen.
NOTE: If you are updating from v1.2.0, you will see a screen that says: "Your distraction-free experience awaits." Please DO NOT reboot the device during this time. Please wait for the update to complete, and the device will reboot automatically.
Connecting to Wi-Fi is enough to initiate an update if one is available. You can simply connect to Wi-Fi and wait for the update to propagate on your device. Below are the instructions to follow should an update be available. Alternatively, you can manually check for a firmware update. Find those instructions at the end of this article.
Automatic Update Instructions
- Connect to Wi-Fi on your device and make sure you have a connection to the internet. There should be a solid line to the left and right of your email in the main status window on the Traveler to indicate that you are connected. (A broken line on either side means you are disconnected.)
2) Save documents to Postbox.
- For maximum redundancy, make sure that all of your drafts are synced to Postbox before updating.
3) Leave Traveler turned on and idle.
- Your device will begin downloading the update the next time the device goes to sleep. Please note that you may need to prompt your device to sleep by pressing the power button after 5-10 minutes plugged in and idle. There will be no indication on the display that it is downloading.
4) Accept the upgrade.
- When the device has finished downloading the update, a screensaver will appear asking you to hold the power button down for 5 seconds to initiate the update.
- NOTE: Plug in your device prior to initiating the upgrade. If your device is not plugged in, the update will fail and the system will ask you to try again. If you don’t want to update at that moment, you can still go on using your device as normal by pressing the power button to wake/sleep the device.
5) Wait for the upgrade to complete (10 - 15 minutes).
- After holding the power button for 5 seconds, the device will reboot into the installation process, at which time it will ask you to wait for it to complete. This process can take up to 15 minutes. Please be patient. The device will reboot automatically. Please do not force a reboot at any time during this part of the process.
- Special note for v1.2.0 users: You will see a screen that says: "Your distraction-free writing experience awaits" for approximately 2 minutes during the upgrade. DO NOT force a reboot during this time. Please wait and the update will complete automatically.
6) Resume writing.
- When the update is finished, you should be back to where you left off writing.
Manually Check for an Update
- Option 1: Press right [new] + right [shift] + F
- Option 2: Hold the power button down for 3 seconds (version 1.5.0 or later) and select "Firmware Update" in the device menu
If an update is available, your device will begin downloading the update immediately. To perform the manual check, your device must be running on firmware version 1.1.6 or higher.